November is upon us and here at AWITC, we’re making the most of every opportunity to get outside and explore the great outdoors. From taking little ones trick or treating earlier this week to deciding how to make the most of the upcoming Bonfire Night weekend, we’re sharing how we are getting off the sofa and breathing in a little bit more of the cool crisp fresh air.
And we aren’t the only ones. OS Champion Zoe Homes is encouraging everyone to get outside and complete the One Hour Outside Challenge by spending one hour (or more) a day outdoors every day in November. The key is to get outdoors every day. We’re up for the challenge and thought we’d share our plans for getting outside this November.
Here are 10 great ways to get outdoors this month:
1. It’s no surprise that our top pick for getting outdoors is to simply go for a walk. Try getting in more steps each day by walking to work, school, or to the shops. If walking isn’t an option then consider parking further away. Every step counts so get off the sofa, go outside, and explore!
2. Hop on a bike and go for a scenic bike ride through the autumn leaves.
3. Or tell the time like the Romans. You can see how to do this here and be sure to go on our historic Hadrian’s Wall walking holidays to explore real Roman history.
4. Plant a tree. It’s National Tree Week November 23rd – December 5th but you don’t have to wait until then!
5. Go and pick apples. You can find your local orchard here.
6. Explore some historical ruins. History buffs may also be interested in our St Cuthberts Way walking holiday.
7. Try your hand at grass sledding. This is best done on wet ground. Find out more here.
8. Those fancying a challenge could go for a mountain hike. Fit adventurers that love mountains should also check out this challenging Coast to Coast walking holiday.
9. Take the family out to feed squirrels in your local woodland. Monkey nuts are a favourite food choice!
10. Spend an evening outside, bundled up, watching the stars. Take a look at what you can expect to see in the skies this November here.
That’s how we’re getting outdoors this autumn. Make sure to join in on the One Hour Outside Challenge and spend your fair share of time outdoors this November.
Ready for your own walking adventure?
We want you to experience, explore and enjoy the best of the great British outdoors. Our team is made up of keen walkers who have a mass of local and national knowledge, and a strong passion for getting outside, and we’ve brought together the best routes, the best accommodation, and the best mapping resources to make sure that you experience the best walking holiday.
Start your search for your dream walking holiday here.